Definition: A luxating patella is a knee cap which moves out of the groove in the femur.
Here is a play by play of everything that has happened.
She got her surgery on December 3rd. I dropped her off at 7:30am and was to hear from the doctor after the surgery which was scheduled for 11am. She got both legs operated on because 1. instead of two separate surgeries and 12 weeks of recovery it's only 6. 2. It was 1K cheaper.
I was a nervous wreck all day, of course fearing the worst. I heard from the doctor around 1:30pm telling me everything went as planned and she was in recovery.
Originally, I was told she would be kept until Saturday morning but when I dropped her off I was informed that 50% of dogs go home the next day and 50% do stay two nights. On Thursday, when I talked to the vet he said to call back friday mid morning to find out when I could pick her up. I barely slept Thursday night because I missed my girl and kept imagining she was alone in a cage... I know, moving on.
On Friday, December 4th I called the CVRC (surgery place) at 10am and was told she was doing great and could pick her up today! I hadn't taken off at the gym but I told them I'd be there at 3!
Anyways, my mom and I picked her up (Jerms was driving home from Virginia.) We got a huge list of things to do and not do as well as three different medicines to give her at three different times of the day. She has staples in her legs and stitches down her head. (I got a mass removed from the crown of her head) The poor pup has the worst haircut ever! She looks like she has male pattern baldness and her entire back end is bald.
Insert sad dog pic here:

Anyways, that night was horrible! Absolutely no weight on her legs which meant holding the entire night. This gets kinda gross but she couldn't really hold her bowels. Nothing explosive but she'd start whimpering and moving around because she knew she wasn't supposed to go in the house. Momma had a playpen that she slept in, right next to my side of the bed. I'm a really light sleeper, meaning I woke up every time she took a deep breath. It was a very long night.
Saturday, December 5th was rough. She was still having bowel issues but I did get her to go pee on a puppy pad. For me this was a huge accomplishment because she had been whimpering, struggling and moving around for 10 minutes, trying to get me to take her outside. I never liked the idea of puppy pads and she wasn't trained with them but I am so thankful for them now! After this she started showing really good signs of feeling better, eating, drinking and being alert; unlike the night before. I started her leg exercises with her which I absolutely hate! I have to bend her leg in until she reacts and back out. Saturday night was no fun. The medicine must have constipated her and but she did end up going outside. I used a sling to hold up her back legs. This part is really gross but it happened... anyways, her rear end got reallllly chapped and almost diaper-rashy. If this happens to anyone I suggest using vaseline on the area and not vitamin E. We used vitamin E first and it didn't help. The area kept getting redder and more tender. Overnight we switched to vaseline and woke the next morning with the area looking 75% better and she showed no sensitivity back there.
That brings us to Sunday, December 6th. Lucy woke up around 8am which means I woke up as well. I took her outside still using the towel as a sling. She went outside and peed and pooped, just like her normal routine!! She has really showed great progress and good signs of healing! This is good news but all the while, means I have to watch her and really restrict her for the next 6 weeks. No jumping, running over exerting herself or else the pins could slip and she would need the surgery all over again! I'll keep updating.
*I wrote this mostly because the blogs on Luxating Patellas and forums on it don't explain what really goes down in the first couple days after surgery, just that it is very demanding on the owner and rough on the dog. I had no idea. I really don't know how people who full time jobs, kids, no help handle this type of surgery!
No comments:
Post a Comment